Friday 29 January 2016

Freya Williams Self-Promotion - Initial Development

Being fairly unfamiliar with Freya's work, I didn't really go into this project with any ideas for her logo and was hoping she'd be able to give me some direction with this. She wrote out the name "Paigic Designs", which I traced in Illustrator to use as a logotype.

 











Having spoke to Freya about the logo I knew she wanted the name inside an oval which contained one of her patterns, of all the ones that she sent me, the below one fitted the shape the best due to how it has a circular shape. I edited it to enhance the colours, as Freya wanted the bright colours in the logo.




 


The logo developed as below until Freya was happy with it. In order to make the colours bright enough we had to increase the weight of the logotype a bit, which I wasn't keen on doing at first, but now doesn't seem like an issue because of how well it stands out from the pattern. Having the pink border rather than the black one makes the whole logo look a bit lighter.







Initially Freya was going have her postcards blank, but I suggested putting some information about the design on the back in the format of a conventional postcard, as shown below. This is something we'll work on more next time we meet.














My initial plan for the folder didn't change too much, although I thought it better to display the logo on the front page via the back of the business card so all the attention was on the business card. The pink background isn't necessarily pink, it's just a placeholder colour for the stock taken from the logo to use instead of a plain white background. The colour of the final background is something I'll discuss with Freya another time. This gave me a good start for the business card.














Initially the back of the business card looked like this.














I feel like this works really well, but Freya was very keen on having some of her other patterns on the back of the business card, as well as wanting the ovular logo rather than the full image. The problem with this is that the other patterns she sent me varied greatly in colour as shown below.







I explained to Freya that this wouldn't work very well because of how the colours were too different, and she said that she'd rather me change the colours in the logo than in the patterns but she'd like to see some possibilities as to how they could look, even if they weren't very good. I showed her the below images, none of which look anywhere near as good as my initial idea to have the image from the logo large and on it's own.







Freya then suggested not having a logo on the back at all and just having the patterns in their original colours, instead having the logo somewhere fairly small on the front and put it in the folder with the front facing outwards. I'm sceptical about this idea and so am going to print out loads of different potential business card designs so she can see how they all look printed, I hope to convince Freya to go with my original idea by doing this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment